A Career as a Helpdesk Specialist
A Help Desk Specialist is responsible for providing technical assistance and maintaining customers’ relationships with the company, providing answers to customers’ questions and other needs related to technical support. They respond to queries, run diagnostic programs, isolate problems, and determine and implement solutions. A Help Desk Specialist’s main objective is to maintain a high level of customer satisfaction and provide them with any necessary support.
To be a great Help Desk Specialist you will need to have the ability to gather information quickly, thoroughly and efficiently to assist customer needs. Strong written and oral communication skills are required and you must be able to creatively research and identify problems while working in a fast-paced environment with constantly changing priorities.
There are a number of different types of Help Desk Specialists including:
- Customer Service Representatives,
- Technical Support Engineers,
- Support Technicians,
- Computer Technicians and
- Help Desk Analysts.
A career as a Help Desk Specialist opens the door to a number of different roles including becoming a Technical Support Specialist, an IT Manager or a Help Desk Analyst.
In order to become a Help Desk Specialist you will need a Degree in Information Technology, or a Degree in Computer Science.
Skills required include:
- Knowledge of Tier2, Active Directory, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Office and Cisco Networking.
- Providing first level contact and conveying resolutions for customer issues.
- Properly escalating unresolved queries to the next level of support.
- Tracking, routing and redirecting problems to the correct resources.
- Updating customer data and producing activity reports.
- Walking customers through problem solving processes.
- Following up with customers, providing feedback and seeing problems through to resolution.
- Utilising excellent customer service skills and exceeding customers’ expectations.
- Ensuring proper recording, documentation and closure.
- Recommended procedure modifications or improvements.
- Preserving and growing your knowledge of help desk procedures, products and services.
Corporate IT has a large database of highly skilled technology professionals in Cape Town and Johannesburg, while always being on the lookout for fresh talent with in-demand skill sets . We effectively and efficiently drive business results because we are well networked in the IT community throughout South Africa, and our expert IT recruiters understand how quickly the competitive parameters can shift. Whether you are looking for the next step in your IT career, or you are a company seeking the best in the field, Corporate IT is the perfect strategic partner to connect you with the experience you need.