A Career as a Programmer
A computer Programmer is a skilled professional who writes great code and tests code that allows computer applications and software programs to function properly. They turn the program designs created by software developers and engineers into instructions that a computer can follow. On top of writing and creating programs, computer Programmers are also responsible for testing, debugging/troubleshooting, and maintaining the source code of computer programs.
Programmers should have good analytical skills and be able to understand complex instructions in order to create computer code. They should also be able to concentrate for long periods of time and be detail oriented so that they can closely examine the code they write because a small mistake can affect the entire computer program. Troubleshooting skills are also an important part of a Programmer’s job because they must check the code for errors and fix any they find.
There are a number of different types of support Programmers including:
- Programmer Analysts,
- Systems Analysts,
- Developers and
- Software Engineers.
A career as a Programmer can lead to many exciting career opportunities including becoming a Senior Programmer Analyst, a .NET Programmer, a Senior Software Engineer, a Senior Software Developer, or a Senior Programmer.
In order to become a Programmer you will require one or more of the following qualifications – a B.Sc. in Computer Science, a BA in Computer Science, a B.Sc. in Software Engineering, or a BA in Software Engineering.
Skills required include:
- C, C++, Java, PHP, .NET, Java, XML, Python, JSF, Wicket, GWT, Spring MVC.
- Collaborating with business analysts and developers to produce software designs.
- Formulating program specifications and basic prototypes.
- Transforming software designs and specifications into high functioning code in the appropriate language.
- Integrating individual software solutions to higher level systems.
- Using web-based tools to create advanced SaaS when applicable.
- Testing code periodically to ensure it produces the desirable results and performing debugging when necessary.
- Performing upgrades to make software and systems more secure and efficient.
- Collaborating with technical writers to create documentation for user support.
Corporate IT has a large database of highly skilled technology professionals in Cape Town and Johannesburg, while always being on the lookout for fresh talent with in-demand skill sets . We effectively and efficiently drive business results because we are well networked in the IT community throughout South Africa, and our expert IT recruiters understand how quickly the competitive parameters can shift. Whether you are looking for the next step in your IT career, or you are a company seeking the best in the field, Corporate IT is the perfect strategic partner to connect you with the experience you need.