A Career as a Systems Engineer
A Systems Engineer is in charge of creating computer systems for clients and works on all hardware and software systems, making sure that everything works in unison. They conceptualize and create systems to debug systems with glitches or problems. Systems Engineers are in charge of creating the most efficient program that will fulfill each individual client’s needs while always considering their business demands and objectives throughout a project’s life cycle.
Systems Engineers must have very good communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills. Excellent conflict resolution, analytical, and decision-making skills are crucial to the position as well.
There are a number of different types of Systems Engineers including:
- Desktop Engineers,
- IT Consultants and
- Network Engineers.
A career as a Systems Engineer can lead to many exciting career opportunities including becoming an IT Director, an IT Manager, a Lead Systems Engineer, a Senior Systems Administrator or a Senior Systems Engineer.
In order to become a systems engineer you will require one or more of the following qualifications – a Bachelor/Master’s Degree in Computer Science or a Bachelor/Master’s Degree in Engineering.
Skills required include:
- Knowledge of VMWare ESX, Windows Server 2012 R2, Tomcat, Jboss, Apache, Ruby, NGINX, Virtualbox, Python and Perl.
- Managing and monitoring all installed systems and infrastructure.
- Installing, configuring, testing and maintaining operating systems, application software and system management tools.
- Proactively ensuring the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability.
- Monitoring and testing application performance for potential bottlenecks; identifying possible solutions, and working with developers to implement those solutions.
- Maintaining security, backup, and redundancy strategies.
- Writing and maintaining custom scripts to increase system efficiency and lower the human intervention time required on tasks.
- Participating in the design of information and operational support systems.
- Providing 2nd and 3rd level support.
- Liaising with vendors and other IT personnel for problem resolution.
Corporate IT has a large database of highly skilled technology professionals in Cape Town and Johannesburg, while always being on the lookout for fresh talent with in-demand skill sets . We effectively and efficiently drive business results because we are well networked in the IT community throughout South Africa, and our expert IT recruiters understand how quickly the competitive parameters can shift. Whether you are looking for the next step in your IT career, or you are a company seeking the best in the field, Corporate IT is the perfect strategic partner to connect you with the experience you need.