A Career as a Web Developer
Web Developers create attractive, functional websites for their clients’ products and services that appeal to a wide audience. They should be able to identify potential site users and design a website to appeal to these constituents. Web Developers meet with clients to discuss their vision for their website, and to discuss how to keep their website functioning and up to date. They might construct the layout of a website, creating a visually interesting home page and user-friendly design and also write the content for the website. After a website is up and running, they make sure that the site is functional on all web browsers, periodically testing and updating as needed.
This role is very client-based and project-oriented, so it is crucial to be able to communicate effectively, set goals and meet deadlines. Web Developers should be creative and have a grasp of art and design principles, and be able to concentrate, work in a team and be detail oriented.
There are a number of different types of Web Developers including
- Front End Web Developers,
- Back End Web Developers,
- Software Developers and
- Web Designers
A career as a Web Developer can lead to many exciting career opportunities including becoming a Senior Software Engineer, a Software Development Manager and a Senior Web Developer.
In order to become a Web Developer you will require one or more of the following qualifications – a Bachelors’ Degree in Computer Engineering or a Bachelors’ Degree in Computer Science
Skills required include:
- Familiarity with technology and an understanding of how computers and web servers operate.
- Writing well designed, testable, efficient code by using the best software development practices.
- Creating website layout/user interface by using standard HTML/CSS practices.
- Integrating data from various back-end services and databases.
- Gathering and refining specifications and requirements based on technical needs.
- Creating and maintaining software documentation.
- Assuming responsibility for maintaining, expanding, and scaling clients’ websites.
- Staying plugged into emerging technologies and industry trends and applying them to operations and activities.
- Cooperating with web designers to match visual design intent.
Corporate IT has a large database of highly skilled technology professionals in Cape Town and Johannesburg, while always being on the lookout for fresh talent with in-demand skill sets . We effectively and efficiently drive business results because we are well networked in the IT community throughout South Africa, and our expert IT recruiters understand how quickly the competitive parameters can shift. Whether you are looking for the next step in your IT career, or you are a company seeking the best in the field, Corporate IT is the perfect strategic partner to connect you with the experience you need.